I must admit I had my doubts this quilt could be helped, but I do love a challenge! Let me say here that taking the time to plan as I described earlier is a LOT LESS WORK than trying to save and redo something. Lesson learned! …I hope
So here it is! Before, After and Value Sketch side by side so you can compare. Click on them to make them larger.
Now lets get into how I replaced it.
I made a pattern with red cellophane because I could easily see through it (and I happened to have some) and clear is actually a little harder to see (and I didn’t have any). A light box would have been useless with all the layers and tracing paper was not transparent enough. I also had that but it didn’t work.
I traced a pattern and cut the new piece out.
To fit it into place I had to take out a bunch of hand appliqué stitching and the seams on all three side of the background piece. That way the new piece could go under the borders; the wool pieces re-appliqued and the seams fused down onto the background.
I school glue basted the edges around the leaves, covering some of the thread painting. But no worries! I can thread paint over that new edge and you will never know it was restitched! (more on glue-basted appliqué here)
If you’ll notice, the new fabric has a hint of blue in it that I liked to go with the teal I already have in the HST’s and a few leaves. They were looking a little out of place but a little more is also coming that you don’t know about. The grapes still need a layer of round pieces in teal and lighter purple that will add quite a bit of lighter color to that section and maybe a leaf or two that has the blue of the background… we’ll see.
Now all that is left is more stitching which will have to wait until my shoulder is completely healed from recent surgery. I was able to handle this much activity but not the rigors of maneuvering this quilt on a machine. I may even take it to the long arm!
And I am so pleased to say I really like my quilt again! I was hating it for sooooo long! So maybe that is a hint ~ is there a piece you feel “meh” about or bored with? Ask yourself “Why?” And don’t go too far forward until you figure it out. I kept going forward hoping the next piece added would “somehow make it better when really, all it did was complicate the fix.
An interesting note: I was inspired to replace this fabric after doing a lot of restoration to pieces in a vintage quilt where the hand pieced triangles had worn so badly they were crumbling and half or more gone. Essentially they had to be appliquéd back into place with healthier vintage fabric.
The blue in the background brings me to the next section on Color Contrast. One of the reasons I have it in this quilt to begin with is because orange and blue are contrasting colors. This quilt was way too analogous in colors as well as too middle valued to be of great interest or contrast. Orange and blue competes in a way that brings a little pop to the color scheme and blue typically acts as a shadow color in art. Although I don’t have any shadows in this composition, I still wanted to use it for the contrasting effect.
That’s all I’m going to say about color contrast here or this post will get too long. So see you next post for more on the topic! That’s where I will talk more about how and why I chose this fabric.